Friday, February 24, 2012

C#/Delphi

Hi Tim,
I am new to the sql world, and am not the most knowledgeable programmer.
Why is VB not a real development tool?
why are C# and Delphi so much better?
I am doing my first bit of commercial production. It is not supposed to be state of the art, but I will likely use VB with SQL. I know it will work and there's lots of code on the web. Just curious about the merits of using something else.
andrew.
Hi Andrew,
VB is a real development tool. I write both VB and C# regularly and they are
functionally equivalent. In fact, even though VB is "wordier", I can write
it faster because the Intellisense works better. For large projects, we've
also had significant (and as yet unresolved) issues with C# in the Visual
Studio IDE. These problems don't affect us with VB.
Most of the comments regarding VB date from the days when VB was limited by
comparison with C++. They just aren't valid anymore when comparing it with
C#.
While I loved Delphi from the minute I first saw it, it just doesn't have
the market share and it always seems to be playing catch-up in many areas.
HTH,
Greg Low (MVP)
MSDE Manager SQL Tools
www.whitebearconsulting.com
"andrewnichols" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E1D9DBB6-E5A9-4353-966E-AB74E760C59E@.microsoft.com...
> Hi Tim,
> I am new to the sql world, and am not the most knowledgeable programmer.
> Why is VB not a real development tool?
> why are C# and Delphi so much better?
> I am doing my first bit of commercial production. It is not supposed to be
state of the art, but I will likely use VB with SQL. I know it will work and
there's lots of code on the web. Just curious about the merits of using
something else.
> andrew.

No comments:

Post a Comment