Saturday, February 25, 2012

C2 SQL auditing

Hi,
I setup my SQL 2000 Server to use C2 auditing. It is working.
My only problem is that my trace file does not get populated while I am
inserting/updating/select data or anything.
However, when I stop SQL server then my trace file gets populated.
I cannot stop a production SQL server on and off just to collect data and
the trace file is only limited to 200MB so I can wait till the end of day.
I am trying to do a audit report every 2hrs.
Am I doing something wrong? Or this is how C2 works?
I would appreciate all the help!Don't use the C2 auditing. Just create a custom trace that collects the data
you want and you can start and stop it as you need to. Check out
sp_trace_Create in BooksOnLine.
Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
"SQL apprentice" <mssqlworld@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:OYlONfeVHHA.3500@.TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> I setup my SQL 2000 Server to use C2 auditing. It is working.
> My only problem is that my trace file does not get populated while I am
> inserting/updating/select data or anything.
> However, when I stop SQL server then my trace file gets populated.
> I cannot stop a production SQL server on and off just to collect data and
> the trace file is only limited to 200MB so I can wait till the end of day.
> I am trying to do a audit report every 2hrs.
> Am I doing something wrong? Or this is how C2 works?
> I would appreciate all the help!
>|||Hi Andrew,
I had to setup C2 for my company just so they can see it in their own eyes.
I recommended them to use Server Side trace, it is more efficiency and
customizable to what they want to audit.
It would make my case even better when I tell them 3 SQL MVPs suggest not to
use C2.
Do you suggest any third party tools for SOX compliance? I am testing Idera
CM right now.
Eventually, I would like to off load the server side trace to the SOX team
since there are over 100 SQL Servers.
I would like to setup and manage so many traces.
Thanks again for the input...I greatly appreciated.
"Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospam@.shadhawk.com> wrote in message
news:OqOIdLiVHHA.3592@.TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Don't use the C2 auditing. Just create a custom trace that collects the
data
> you want and you can start and stop it as you need to. Check out
> sp_trace_Create in BooksOnLine.
> --
> Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
> "SQL apprentice" <mssqlworld@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:OYlONfeVHHA.3500@.TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
and[vbcol=seagreen]
day.[vbcol=seagreen]
>|||I don't have a specific recomendation as the SOX requirements are very loose
and open to interpitation. There are a number of 3rd party tools that
monitor the logs.
http://sqlserver2000.databases.aspf...t
a.html
http://sqlserver2000.databases.aspf...
log-files.html
Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
"SQL apprentice" <mssqlworld@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ufl7fZpVHHA.1636@.TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Hi Andrew,
> I had to setup C2 for my company just so they can see it in their own
> eyes.
> I recommended them to use Server Side trace, it is more efficiency and
> customizable to what they want to audit.
> It would make my case even better when I tell them 3 SQL MVPs suggest not
> to
> use C2.
> Do you suggest any third party tools for SOX compliance? I am testing
> Idera
> CM right now.
> Eventually, I would like to off load the server side trace to the SOX team
> since there are over 100 SQL Servers.
> I would like to setup and manage so many traces.
> Thanks again for the input...I greatly appreciated.
> "Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospam@.shadhawk.com> wrote in message
> news:OqOIdLiVHHA.3592@.TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> data
> and
> day.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment